If you’re planning a downsize it is likely all your belongings will not fit in your new home. It is super important to start early and plan what you would like to keep and what you would like to get rid of. The less items you decide to take, the lower your moving quote will be. You have a few different options on what to do with your belongings;
- Give away – give to friends or family or leave outside with a ‘free to a good home’ sign.
- Donate – give to your local charity, some charities may even pick up your unwanted items for you.
- Sell – sell online, Facebook marketplace and eBay are fantastic starting points, or even your local car boot.
- Dispose – visit your local tip or contact local rubbish collectors, we recommend Steve’s Rubbish Removals or 5 Star Recycling, both offer rubbish removals in Worcestershire.
- Keep – if you are planning a downsize you will likely need to be quite ruthless on what you would like to take.
It can be challenging to understand and visualise what will actually fit in your new home. The best way is to create a floor plan with measurements of your new property, then measure your furniture and plan it around this. You don’t want to move into a new home which is full to the brim with no room to organise and enjoy your new start. Therefore, planning what will go where is very important prior to moving in.
We have found many problems with downsizing and rooms becoming too full to get into, this creates a challenge when trying to unbox your items and organise your new home.
If you’re running out of time or have too many sentimental items which you are struggling to get rid of then storage is likely the best option for you. Our secure storage starts from just £12 a week and we have 2 locations in Worcestershire. It’s safe and perfect for any of your household items. Find out more about our storage here.